Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Sandy Bridges Program Center (and beginning of training)

It has been ridiculously busy the last couple of days. On Sunday, we moved into the new Sandy Bridges Program Center. The dining hall is HUGE compared to the old building. It takes up pretty much the entire ground floor. The second floor houses the new trading post (probably three times the size of the older trading post), 2 conference rooms, a coffee station, a beautiful porch, and most important to scouts coming off the water, a snack bar. The snack bar still isn’t open, but it will supposedly have scoop ice cream, slushies, and naturally Dorthy Molter rootbeer. It’s a little extravagant in my opinion, but at least the trading post will be less crowded with Scouts getting a fix for their candy addiction. Hopefully it all works out, but I certainly wouldn’t want to work there.
            The porch on the new building is great. The last two days I’ve woken up at 5:30, taken a shower, gotten some coffee, and read a book on the porch for about an hour before breakfast. It’s been a little cold and windy, but it’s still been really nice. I can see hordes of scout masters sitting up there sipping their coffee.

Canoes behind the Bay Post

View from the Sandy Bridges Program Center

The Porch

The Porch

The Porch with a nice Adirondack Chair


            There has been a huge influx of new staff members the last couple of days. I’ve been assigned to a brigade with Roni, a highly sarcastic guy from Israel, and Mat, another brigade leader. I’ve also met a lot of cool people. One of the history staff that I met, Ann, is quite possibly an even bigger Doctor Who fan than I am! In addition, she also loves Merlin and speaks a little German! There have also been a couple of other neat people.
            Training has been pretty much going nonstop. Yesterday (Monday) was a lot of bureaucratic training (and CPR). Today we spent all day on Wilderness First Aid certification. We have more of the same tomorrow, followed by our swim tests. In some ways, it is nice to actually be working toward my actually job, but I kinda miss the rote simplicity of working in the Bay Post. Speaking of my working the Bay Post, today Kevin awarded me the first “General Manager’s Award of Excellence” of the year at lunch. I’m not really sure how big of a deal it actually is, but hey, it’s an indication that someone thinks I’m doing something good.



            Lots of small, interesting things too. Today I spoke with Fred Marks for a while about Germany. He’s was based in Munich for a while. Apparently you could see the Northern Lights up here one night too, but I missed it. Anyways, I’m doing well up here and am looking forward to our swamper (brigade training trip), for which we leave on Saturday morning.

-Andrew

2 comments:

  1. Did you take all of those pictures? They are really nice. I like the view! I hope you get to see the northern lights!!! You must take several pictures of that if you can. That's one of my life goals. And how old is Ann? She sounds like Andrew Patterson's new bff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did take those pictures. I'll have more to show soon. I actually have seen the northern lights up here before, but they were only in grey and white. Still really cool though. Ann is a year younger than us. Or me anyways.

    ReplyDelete